Teaching Assistant Level 2 - One to One pupil specific contract
Purpose of the job:
To work under the direct instruction of teacher/support staff, usually in a classroom with the teacher, to support access to learning for pupils and provide general support to the teacher in the management of pupils and the classroom.
Support the pupil by:
- Undertaking the activities with either individuals or groups of children to ensure their safety and facilitate their physical, emotional and educational development.
- Carrying our pre-determined educational activities and work programmes whilst promoting independent learning.
- Working to establish a supportive relationship with the children and parents concerned.
- Encouraging acceptance and inclusion of the child with special needs.
- Promoting and reinforcing the child’s self-esteem.
Support the Teacher by:
- Monitoring individual children’s needs and reporting these to their designated supervisor as appropriate.
- Keep such records of the children’s development as are required by the Academy.
- Assisting teaching staff in the planning of work programmes for individuals and groups of children.
- Provide support to the teacher in delivery of local and national learning strategies.
- Supporting teaching staff in the carrying out of home visits.
- Assisting the teaching staff in the smooth transition between educational phases.
Support the Academy by:
- Being aware of the Academy’s policies and procedures
- Being aware of confidential issues to home/pupil/teacher/school work and to keep confidence as appropriate.
- To assistant with the supervision of pupils out of lesson times, which may include before and after school and at lunchtimes.
Any special conditions of service
- There is a requirement to undergo an enhanced DBS check
- Term time working
- There may a need occasionally to work outside of normal academy hours and/or off premises following appropriate consultation and notice. To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy.
Edit me in Site Settings > Jobs (tab) > Job Negotiation Message.
e.g. This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- Working with or caring for children of relevant age (A/I)
- Understanding classroom roles and responsibilities and your own position within these (A/I)
- A minimum GCSE Maths and English grades C or above (or equivalent) (A/C)
- An understanding of policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection (A/I)
- Participate in development and training opportunities (A/I)
- Awareness of local and national teaching strategies (A/I)
- Previous experience of working with young people preferably in a school setting (A/I)
- Good communication skills both oral and written (A/I/R)
- Use basic technology – computer, video, photocopier (A/I)
- Ability to build positive relationships with all stakeholders (A/I)
- Ability to work constructively as part of a team (A/I/R)
- Commitment to self and team development (A/I)
- Work in ways that promote equality of opportunity, participation, diversity and responsibility (A/I)
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Academy’s Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Child Protection Policies (A/I)
- A professional responsibility to promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people (A/I)
- The post holder will require an enhanced DBS (C)
- Appropriate knowledge of first aid (A)
- Completion of DfES Teacher Assistant Induction Programme or equivalent (A/C)