Teaching Assistant Level 1
Purpose of the job:
To work under the direct instruction of teacher/support staff, usually in a classroom with the teacher, to support access to learning for pupils and provide general support to the teacher in the management of pupils and the classroom.
This position would be suitable for candidates who have a degree and would like some experience working in a Primary School setting before starting a Teaching qualification.
Support the pupil by:
- Undertaking the activities with either individuals or groups of children to ensure their safety and facilitate their physical, emotional and educational development.
- Carrying our pre-determined educational activities and work programmes whilst promoting independent learning.
- Working to establish a supportive relationship with the children and parents concerned.
- Encouraging acceptance and inclusion of the child with special needs.
- Promoting and reinforcing the child’s self-esteem.
Support the Teacher by:
- Monitoring individual children’s needs and reporting these to their designated supervisor as appropriate.
- Keep such records of the children’s development as are required by the Academy.
- Assisting teaching staff in the planning of work programmes for individuals and groups of children.
- Provide support to the teacher in the delivery of local and national teaching strategies.
- Supporting teaching staff in the carrying out of home visits.
- Assisting the teaching staff in the smooth transition between educational phases.
Support the Academy by:
- Being aware of confidential issues to home/pupil/teacher/school work and to keep confidence as appropriate.
- To ensure strict confidentiality in all areas of work.
- To work and process personal and sensitive information in accordance with Data Protection Act 2018 including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To ensure work is conducted in a way that protects the safety and security of information (e.g. strong passwords, reporting breaches, securing paper records, securely disposing of records).
- To understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare at all times, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer immediately.
- To comply with the Trust and academy’s policies and procedures at all times.
Any special conditions of service
- There is a requirement to undergo an enhanced DBS check
- Term time working
- There may a need occasionally to work outside of normal academy hours and/or off premises following appropriate consultation and notice.
To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- A good standard of education particularly in Maths and English
- To be aware of policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection
- Participate in development and training opportunities
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- Use basic technology – computer, video, photocopier
- Ability to build positive relationships with all stakeholders
- Ability to work constructively as part of a team
- Commitment to self and team development
- Work in ways that promote equality of opportunity, participation, diversity and responsibility
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Academy’s Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Child Protection Policies
- A professional responsibility to promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people
- The post holder will require an enhanced DBS
- Working with or caring for children of relevant age
- Understanding classroom roles and responsibilities and your own position within these
- Appropriate knowledge of first aid
- Completion of DfES Teacher Assistant Induction Programme or equivalent
- Previous experience of working with young people preferably in a school setting