Teaching Assistant Level 1
Purpose of the job:
To work under the direct instruction of teacher/support staff, usually in a classroom with the teacher, to support access to learning for pupils and provide general support to the teacher in the management of pupils and the classroom.
- To support pupils’ learning and to share in the care and wellbeing of the pupils’ throughout the school.
- To support the emotional, behavioural and pastoral needs of all pupils, including those with SEN.
- To support individual and small groups of pupils in the curriculum to accelerate their learning.
- To carry out specific administrative/ procedural tasks to support the class teacher.
- To be involved in the planning, development and delivery of intervention strategies.
- To observe and monitor pupils’ progress and adapt agreed approaches to their particular needs.
- To assist on visits.
- Assist with the preparation of resources e.g. photocopying, repairing books, filing of work, making games and the creation and mounting of displays for children’s work.
Support the Academy:
- Be aware of the Academy’s policies and procedures
- Be aware of confidential issues regarding home/pupil/teacher/school work and to keep confidence as appropriate.
- Report any safeguarding concerns.
- Assist and attend with seasonal events e.g. concerts and fayres.
- Attend appropriate staff meetings and training days/events as requested.
Any special conditions of service
- There is a requirement to undergo an enhanced DBS check
- Term time working
- There may be a need occasionally to work outside of normal academy hours and/or off premises following appropriate consultation and notice.
To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy.
Edit me in Site Settings > Jobs (tab) > Job Negotiation Message.
e.g. This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- A good standard of education particularly in Maths and English (A/C)
- To be aware of policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection (A/I)
- Participate in development and training opportunities (A/I)
- Good communication skills both oral and written (A/I/R)
- Use basic technology – computer, video, photocopier (A/I)
- Ability to build positive relationships with all stakeholders (A/I)
- Ability to work constructively as part of a team (A/I/R)
- Commitment to self and team development (A/I)
- Work in ways that promote equality of opportunity, participation, diversity and responsibility (A/I)
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Academy’s Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Child Protection Policies (A/I)
- A professional responsibility to promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people (A/I)
- The post holder will require an enhanced DBS (C)
- Working with or caring for children of relevant age (A/I)
- Understanding classroom roles and responsibilities and your own position within these (A/I)
- Appropriate knowledge of first aid (A)
- Completion of DfES Teacher Assistant Induction Programme or equivalent (A/C)
- Previous experience of working with young people preferably in a school setting (A/I)