One to One Teaching / Care Assistant
Purpose of the job:
Southmere Primary Academy in Bradford are looking to appoint a One to One Teaching/ Care Assistant to join our academy in February 2020. You will provide one to one support for pupils with special educational and/or medical needs and to support access to learning for pupils.
Southmere is a large primary academy with up to 472 pupils, including a 52 place nursery. The academy serves a diverse community with families from a variety of ethnic backgrounds.
As a school we place great importance on the development of each and every child academically, socially and emotionally. We aim to provide a wide range of learning experiences both within the classroom and beyond which will promote a life-long love of learning and enable our children to become independent, forward thinking and socially responsible citizens of the future.
We are striving to provide higher quality CPD to ensure all staff have the skills to support children to make accelerated progress.
If you feel you would be the right fit for this role then we would very much like to hear from you.
Visits to the academy would be warmly welcomed by appointment. Please contact the academy on 01274 575178 if you would like to arrange a visit.
Support the pupil by:
· Providing personal/intimate care and supporting on a one to one basis
· Carrying out pre-determined educational activities and work programmes whilst promoting independent learning.
· Working to establish a supportive relationship with the children and parents concerned.
· Promoting and reinforcing the child’s self-esteem.
Support the Teacher by:
· Monitoring individual children’s needs and reporting these to their designated supervisor as appropriate.
· Keep such records of the children’s development as are required by the Academy.
· Supporting the teacher with educational activities.
Support the Academy by:
· Being aware of the Academy’s policies and procedures
· Being aware of confidential issues to home/pupil/teacher/school work and to keep confidence as appropriate.
Any special conditions of service
· There is a requirement to undergo an enhanced DBS check.
· Intimate care is required.
To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- A good standard of education particularly in Maths and English
- To be aware of policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection
- Participate in development and training opportunities
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- Use basic technology – computer, video, photocopier
- Ability to build positive relationships with all stakeholders
- Ability to work constructively as part of a team
- Commitment to self and team development
- Work in ways that promote equality of opportunity, participation, diversity and responsibility
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Academy’s Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Child Protection Policies
- A professional responsibility to promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people
- The post holder will require an enhanced DBS
- Working with or caring for children of relevant age
- Understanding classroom roles and responsibilities and your own position within these
- Appropriate knowledge of first aid
- Completion of DfES Teacher Assistant Induction Programme or equivalent
- Previous experience of working with young people preferably in a school setting