Purpose of the job:
The Elland Academy are seeking to appoint a Mini Bus Driver. The successful candidate will work as part of the Facilities team and to be the minibus driver for the school’s home/school transport provision; including routine safety checks on the vehicle.
The job requires the candidate to work split shifts, 7am to 9am, 1pm to 3.30pm.
The Elland Academy is an Alternative Provision Free School catering for schools and academies across Leeds, Wakefield and Kirklees. At the Elland, the child is at the centre of everything we do. We offer a broad and balanced curriculum that supports the various needs of the learners that come to us. Our learning is highly personalised to match student needs and is supported by a specialist team of staff to cater for learners aged 4-19 years. Our academy is a welcoming, safe and caring environment that successfully nurtures the needs of every member of its community. We aim to support our students to feel valued and enabled to make positive choices regarding their learning and interactions with others. We are driven by our values of respect for all, high aspirations and providing positive experiences to ensure success for all our young people and to transition them into life as responsible members of society. At the Elland, we believe all students can achieve.
You will be joining an ambitious, committed and hardworking team who are relentless in their drive to make a genuine difference to and lasting impact on our young people, staff, families and the wider community. We value kindness and seek to create an academy where staff feel supported and students feel safe. If you feel you would be the right fit for this role then we would very much like to hear from you.
- Operating one of the academy’s bus routes, collecting children from given pick-up points along the route and delivering them to school; collecting them from school and dropping them back at the given points.
- Ensuring that the minibus is kept clean and in good condition, including, but not restricted to:
- Weekly cleaning of the bus, both inside and out
- Ensuring signs inside the bus are properly attached and in good condition
- Regular visual inspection/checking of tyres, lights, oil, water, fuel
- Ensuring that any additional work required is communicated immediately to the Site Manager
- Adhere to all school policies including Health and Safety guidelines for Minibus Drivers
- To liaise directly with parents when necessary
- Enforcement of the school behaviour policy and the reporting of any incidents or unsatisfactory behaviour to Line Manager.
- Dealing with accidents/incidents and reporting them to the school Office/member of the senior leadership team.
- To be aware of and work in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018, including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare at all times, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer immediately.
- To comply with the Trust and academy’s policies and procedures at all times.
To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
The post holder’s duties must be carried out in compliance with the academy’s policies and procedures including Child Protection Procedures and Equal Opportunities Policy, Information Security Policies, Financial Regulations and Standing Orders, the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) and subsequent health and safety legislation.
This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- Understanding of Health & Safety Issues and good practice
- Awareness and understanding of basic safety and security measures
- Full Clean Driving Licence
- Driving licences obtained on or after 1st January 1997 must have a category D1 PCV entitlement on their licence by meeting higher medical standards and passing an appropriate test or have obtained a driving licence before January 1st 1997
- Have experience driving a minibus
- Have held had a driving licence for at least 2 years and be 21 years of age or over.
- Good organisational and personal management skills
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to deal with day to day issues on own initiative
- Effective time management
- Ability to relate well to children and adults
- Work in ways that promote equality of opportunity, participation, diversity and responsibility.
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Academy’s Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Child Protection Policies
- The post holder will require an enhanced DBS check
- To have basic first aid