Director of Modern Foreign Languages (Spanish)
Purpose of the job:
Delta Academies Trust are looking to appoint a Director of Modern Foreign Languages (Spanish) to join us in September 2020, or earlier if possible.
As the Director of MFL (Spanish) you will be part of a team of lead professionals taking responsibility for the quality of individual MFL provision, curriculum teaching and assessment. You will be jointly accountable for MFL performance improvement, attainment and progress in your discrete subject area of Spanish. You will work across the Trust Academies, with a target group of assigned Academies in the Doncaster area where you will work closely with the Senior Leadership and Subject Leadership Teams to accelerate improvement and raise standards. You will plan and teach high quality lessons, deliver intervention programmes and challenge and support subject teams to achieve stretching targets for outcomes. You will analyse performance data to ensure that students are appropriately targeted for support and work across the Trust to ensure consistency of subject quality and delivery throughout the network of Academies.
Delta Academies Trust are looking to build an elite team of exceptional leaders, teachers, and support staff to transform education in the North of England, in line with our vision of ‘changing lives’. Our vision is to transform education across the North of England and level up the playing field for those children who live in disadvantaged circumstances. Our high expectations of students has created a culture and climate conducive to learning and as a result, the 2017, 2018 and 2019 results have seen a very rapid rise. The support from school leaders allows for innovative practitioners to practice their craft.
We are committed to investing in staff of all levels and we will ensure you have access to high quality professional development through a formal CPD programme. As part of career development, we will give you the opportunity to work with a wide range of senior leaders, as well as to undertake formal NPQs etc.
This is an exciting time in our development as we continue to work hard to drive improvement in our academies. Through strong and purposeful leadership and high quality teaching and learning, we are confident that we can have a positive impact upon the lives of young people, ensuring that all students achieve their potential, realise their aspirations; and are well prepared for the next stage of their lives.
If you share our vision and passion for young people, are passionate about raising educational attainment and standards, and helping young people reach their full potential, you can make the difference at Delta Academies Trust.
If you would like a conversation about this post then please call Anna Rooney, Principal, on 07583 098168.
Duties and Responsibilities will include:
To promote and be committed to Delta Academies Trust’s aims and objectives.
To maintain and contribute to the development of strategies on MFL (Spanish).
To promote and be committed to securing high expectations for learning and the raising of achievement within our academies.
To assist with the effective operation of MFL teams by, individually and with others to:
- deliver highly effective teaching and impactful intervention
- design curriculum plans appropriate to curricular and exam board requirements
- developing schemes of work, resources, teaching and learning strategies
- mark work, assess, record and report student progress
- provide a stimulating learning environment
- have due regard for maintaining health and safety and security in the area s/he uses
- contribute to department and academy enrichment programmes
- contributing to review, monitoring and evaluation and the development of working practices
- participating in working groups and projects
- taking part in other professional development activities
Working with the MFL departments in Delta Trust academies to improve attainment, classroom practice, and professional development;
- leading the MFL team as a model of outstanding teaching
- raising student aspirations at all levels
- raising attainment across the department through leading improvements in teaching and learning
Working with other teachers on classroom organisation and teaching methods/providing model lessons;
- leading continuing professional development activities
- holding workshops on classroom management, differentiation
- pace and challenge, co-coaching
- matching teaching approaches to student learning styles
- demonstrating model lessons
- team teaching
- developing strategies with colleagues to use with students experiencing difficulties
- keeping abreast of the new teaching and learning strategies
- identifying educational research to enhance existing practices
- developing action planning based on the needs of the department
Producing high quality teaching materials:
- updating existing and create new schemes of work and supporting their introduction
- leading the introduction of new technologies, such as video conferencing, white board technology, the internet and the academy learning platform
- sharing good practice with members of staff
Advising on Professional Development;
- designing and delivering professional development activities
- participating in the planning and delivery of focused in-service training days
Helping teachers experiencing difficulties;
- observing and feeding back on the teaching of colleagues experiencing difficulties
- providing a structured programme of advice and support
- give constructive criticism
If required, mentoring Newly Qualified Teachers;
- providing a weekly discussion and overseeing personal action planning
Initial Teacher Training:
- providing exemplar lessons for trainee teachers
- contributing to the assessment of students’ teaching practice
- participating in the training of teachers within teacher training institutions
- acting as mentor to trainee teachers
- provide workshops for students on key borderline grades
- provide targeted support for disaffected or more able students
- support strategies for helping particular groups such as underachieving boys
Other specific duties
- To ensure strict confidentiality in all areas of work.
- To work and process personal and sensitive information in accordance with Data Protection Act 2018 including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To ensure work is conducted in a way that protects the safety and security of information (e.g. strong passwords, reporting breaches, securing paper records, securely disposing of records).
- To understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare at all times, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer immediately.
- To comply with the Trust and academy’s policies and procedures at all times.
- To undertake any other duty as specified by the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document not mentioned in the above
- To comply with any reasonable request from a manager to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in the job description
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- Graduate with qualified teacher status (A/C)
- Spanish bi-lingual specialist (A/I)
- An awareness of current issues in MFL education (A/I)
- Knowledge of national curriculum requirements at KS3 and KS4 in Spanish (A/I)
- Knowledge of courses and requirements at KS5 in Spanish (A/I)
- Understanding of use of data to assess and inform teaching and learning (I)
- An excellent classroom practitioner that can model best practise (I/R)
- Teaching intervention groups at KS3 and KS4 in Spanish (A/I)
- Excellent classroom practitioner (A/I/R)
- Good organisational and personal management skills (A/I)
- Effective planning and teaching (A/I/R)
- Effective behaviour/classroom management (A/I/R)
- An ability to demand high standards (A/I/R)
- Ability to lead others (A/I/R)
- Ability to work independently and be a team player (A/I/R)
- Ability to develop and support other staff to develop a variety of teaching strategies (A/I/R)
- Ability to enthuse and direct students and staff towards raising expectations and levels of achievement (A/I/R)
- The ability to meet deadlines (A/I)
- Good ICT skills (A)
- Flexible and committed to work across our group of partnership schools (A/I)
- Takes the initiative (A/R)
- Is self-motivated (I/R)
- Work in ways that promote equality of opportunity, participation, diversity and responsibility (A/I)
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Delta Academies Trust Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Child Protection Policies (A/I)
- A commitment to the ethos and values of the Delta Academies Trust (A/I)
- To display a responsible and co-operative attitude to working towards the achievement of the Delta Academies Trust aims and objectives (A/I)
- An ability to respect sensitive and confidential work (I)
- Commitment to own personal development and learning (I)
- The post holder will require an enhanced DBS with barred list (C)
- Hold AST / SLE status or equivalent (A/I)
- Experience of exam board MFL (Spanish) marking (A/I)
- Experience of leading, developing and enhancing the teaching practice of other staff (A/R)
- Experience of teaching A level Spanish (A/I)
- Relevant management experience (A/I)