PA to Principal
Purpose of the job:
Darton Academy is looking to appoint a PA to the Principal to join their academy in March 2020. The successful candidate will provide a comprehensive range of confidential administrative services to the Principal and Senior Leadership Team (SLT), providing an efficient and effective support to the Principal in all aspects of their role, including HR and recruitment support. To line manage the Academy's Administrative Team. In return, we offer you the chance to join our exciting new academy where you can benefit from high quality professional development opportunities through our sponsor, Delta Academies Trust, and wider afield.
Darton Academy is a happy and vibrant school which serves the communities of Darton, Kexborough and surrounding areas. We are within easy reach of Leeds, Wakefield and Sheffield, as the academy is located minutes from J38 of the M1. All students are valued, regardless of their background or ability. We treat our young people with respect, and give them all the opportunity to achieve their potential. Our goal is for all our students to leave us as happy, well-qualified, confident young adults who go on to excel in the local sixth-forms, colleges, universities, and the wider world.
Our amazing building offers exceptional facilities, we have superb sports facilities, modern science labs and excellent performance spaces. The school is continuing to develop its ICT infrastructure and use of mobile and new technologies to support and enhance learning.
Visits to the Academy are warmly welcomed by appointment. Please call the academy to arrange your visit on 01226 232306.
We look forward to welcoming you to our friendly and supportive academy team.
Responsibilities and accountabilities
- To be responsible for maintaining the Principal’s diary and co-ordinating appointments, arrange meetings and ensure appropriate facilities and hospitality are provided as required.
- To act as a first point of contact for the Principal and SLT, filtering enquiries as appropriate and taking and passing on messages to staff when required.
- To take messages in the Principals’ absence, dealing with urgent items as required.
- To receive and process incoming mail for the Principal, prioritising as necessary and dealing with urgent items as required.
- To provide typing/word processing support to the Principal and SLT.
- To be responsible for the receipt, redirection, action of emails on behalf of the Principal and the main Academy admin accounts.
- To collect and maintain personnel records and complete personnel related documentation (e.g. new starters, changes to personal details, pay variations and timesheets).
- To maintain the Academy’s Single Central Record (SCR) and ensure all relevant information for new staff is checked and recorded (including DBS checks).
- To liaise with the Trust’s HR team to support HR processes within the academy, ensuring that processes are adhered to and accurate minutes are taken at meetings.
- To manage the provision of supply staff as required and arrange cover within the academy.
- To liaise with the Trust’s Recruitment team to manage the recruitment process for the academy and ensure compliance with the Trust’s processes.
- To be responsible for the efficient and effective running of the academy’s administration support.
- To prepare confidential items as required.
- To maintain relevant filing systems.
- To take minutes of meetings as required.
- To prepare reports for distribution as required.
- To liaise with staff, AAB members, the Trust, parents and students as required.
- To be responsible for the stock control of office items and re-ordering as required in line with delegated budgets.
- To coordinate the production of academy publications and liaise with staff on the production of the information packs for academy events.
- To manage the administration of exclusion letters, relevant documentation and arranging student disciplinary meetings.
- To coordinate communications to parents/carers from the Principal and SLT on the academy website.
- To ensure strict confidentiality in all areas of work.
- To work and process personal and sensitive information in accordance with Data Protection Act 2018 including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To ensure work is conducted in a way that protects the safety and security of information (e.g. strong passwords, reporting breaches, securing paper records, securely disposing of records).
- To understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare at all times, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer immediately.
- To comply with the Trust and academy’s policies and procedures at all times.
To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
External Contractors, suppliers, parents and external agency professionals.
Internal Students, staff, parents/carers, AAB members and any other visitors to the Academy
This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- Grade C or above in both English and Maths, or equivalent (C)
- Recognised and relevant vocational qualification (NVQ level 4 Business Administration) and/or equivalent practical work experience (A/C)
- RSA III Word Processing/Typing/Text Processing or equivalent (A/C)
- Working as a Secretary or Personal Assistant (A/I/R)
- Clerical, administrative and word processing work (A/I)
- Using a variety of software including spreadsheets, databases and PowerPoint (A/I)
- Organising and adapting to change (A/I)
- Managing staff (A/I/R)
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) (A/I)
- Good organisational and personal management skills (A/I)
- Effective behaviour management skills (A/I)
- Able to work independently and be a team player (A/I)
- Effective time management (A/I)
- Ability to respect and maintain confidentiality (A/I/R)
- Satisfactory Enhanced DBS (C)
- Commitment to self and team development (A/I)
- Promote equality of opportunity, participation, diversity and responsibility (A/I)
- Commitment to abide by and promote the Trust’s Equality & Diversity Policy, Health and Safety Policies and Child Protection Policies. (I)
- Safer recruitment in education
- Working in a school environment
- Performance management/appraisal systems
- Basic first aid