Purpose of the job:
Darton Academy is looking to appoint two full time Assistant Principals to join our academy in September 2020 on a full time permanent basis. The successful candidates will support the Senior Leadership Team of the academy, working within the ‘Deeps’ as assigned by the Principal. You will provide proactive support to the Principal / Vice Principal / AAB members to ensure that the leadership and management of the academy operates at the most effective level possible.
Darton Academy is now the highest performing secondary school in Barnsley for Progress 8. We are a happy and vibrant school who serves the communities of Darton, Kexborough and surrounding areas. We are within easy reach of Leeds, Wakefield and Sheffield, as the academy is located minutes from J38 of the M1. All students are valued, regardless of their background or ability. We treat our young people with respect, and give them all the opportunity to achieve their potential. Our goal is for all our students to leave us as happy, well-qualified, confident young adults who go on to excel in the local sixth-forms, colleges, universities, and the wider world.
Our amazing building offers exceptional facilities, we have superb sports facilities, modern science labs and excellent performance spaces. The school is continuing to develop its ICT infrastructure and use of mobile and new technologies to support and enhance learning.
This role would be a wonderful opportunity for any candidate with senior leadership experience, who wishes to take their career to the next level and who has aspirations of headship. You would be joining an academy that places learning at the heart of everything it does and with high quality CPD being available to all staff.
We continually reflect on our practice and that of the school as a whole and look for ways in which we can improve the experience of our learners. You must be able to demonstrate the same level of passion and commitment. As a Senior Leader you will be a highly visible part of our school community and must therefore model the highest levels of professionalism, whilst being able to develop strong working relationships with staff and students.
If you believe you have the experience, vision and drive required for this role then we would like to hear from you.
For an informal chat about this position please call Elaine Briggs, Associate Principal, on 07539 379091.
Main duties and responsibilities
- To contribute to the work of the Senior Leadership Team in accordance with the requirements set out by the Principal. In particular you will be required to play an active part to:
- Ensure the academy achieves the objectives / targets set out in the Academy Development Plan.
- Deliver the academy objectives in relation to its community links.
- Embed all elements of the ‘Deeps’ within the day-to-day workings of the academy.
- Support the activity of the academy as a member of Delta Academies Trust.
- Constantly promote the personal development of all staff and participate in the work of the academy to achieve this.
- Participate in development, management activities and research.
- Contribute to the initiation and development of innovatory practice.
- Promote equal opportunities at all levels of academy activity.
Data security and confidentiality
- To ensure strict confidentiality in all areas of work.
- To work and process personal and sensitive information in accordance with Data Protection Act 2018 including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To ensure work is conducted in a way that protects the safety and security of information (e.g. strong passwords, reporting breaches, securing paper records, securely disposing of records).
- To understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare at all times, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer immediately.
- To comply with the Trust and academy’s policies and procedures at all times.
To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
We expect you to:
- Be flexible and innovative.
- Provide depth to the leadership team and assist with the management of the academy on a day to day basis but particularly when other members of the Senior Leadership Team are absent or working outside the academy.
- Contribute to the development of the leadership and management of the academy via the Senior Leadership Team meetings.
- Play an active part in the monitoring of the quality of teaching and learning across the academy.
- Put ‘students first’ in everything you do.
- Take responsibility for a specific management area / initiative / project.
- As part of your continuous professional development, become the Lead Member of SLT once per week, during which you would be expected to deal with academy wide issues as the first line of response for SLT.
We will provide you with:
- The opportunity to experience a comprehensive range of leadership and management situations.
- The opportunity ‘to shadow’ and work closely with other members of the Senior Leadership Team.
- Support, mentorship and coaching in the roles / duties you are asked to perform.
- Constructive and regular feedback on your performance.
- A wide range of experiences to develop / enhance your management and leadership competencies.
Knowledge, skills and experience requirements for the post
a) Leadership skills
- An innovative leader with a clear understanding of education opportunity and how it can be translated into practical reality
- An existing or aspiring middle leader with a proven track record
- An enthusiastic leader, committed to ensuring the best possible outcomes for students
- Someone with the ability to motivate and develop staff whom they lead
b) Communication skills
- A commitment to working positively with all academy staff and students
- An excellent communicator who is at ease with all members of the academy community
c) Experience and knowledge
- An ability to drive and deliver projects on an academy wide basis
- A knowledge and clear understanding of how to drive intervention through the ‘Deeps’ structure
d) Management of finance, HR and resource
- A proven ability to successfully manage colleagues through the ‘Deeps’
- The ability to motivate staff to ensure high performance
- The ability to translate a visionary / innovative concept into a practical implementation plan
e) Personal attributes
- An ability to use the full range of leadership skills and qualities including emotional intelligence as appropriate to the situation
- Someone who is resilient and determined but can also provide support and demonstrate empathy
- A personal commitment to inclusion and diversity to ensure the maximum benefits for students and staff
- A strong commitment to personal development for all staff including themselves
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- A teaching qualification together with qualified teacher status (QTS)
- Knowledge of teaching, learning and assessment at KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4 & KS5
- A good understanding of recent curriculum developments and initiatives in primary / subject area and their impact in the academy
- Understanding of the use of data to assess and inform teaching and learning and target appropriate intervention
- Experience of dynamic and successful team leadership at middle leader/senior leader level
- Experience of leading and implementing strategies which have ensured high standards of student achievement
- Experience of teaching intervention groups at KS2, KS3, KS4, KS5
- An excellent classroom practitioner that can model best practice
- A passion for learning
- Excellent organisational and personal management skills
- Effective planning and teaching
- Effective behaviour/classroom management
- An ability to demand high standards
- Ability to work independently and be a team player
- Ability to develop and support other staff to develop a variety of teaching strategies
- Ability to enthuse and direct students and staff towards raising expectations and levels of achievement
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Understanding of self-evaluation
- Strong ICT skills
- Commitment to both self and team development
- Takes the initiative
- Able to make difficult decisions and relay these effectively
- AST or Excellent Teacher status
- Leadership qualification (e.g. NPQH)
- Comprehensive knowledge of performance management requirements in an education setting
- Experience of leading, developing and enhancing the teaching practice of other staff