Vice Principal - Secondary
Purpose of the job:
Darton Academy are looking to appoint a Vice Principal to join our academy in September 2020 on a full time, permanent basis. The successful applicant will provide high quality leadership and management commensurate with the needs of the academy and the Delta Academies Trust group.
Darton Academy is now the highest performing secondary school in Barnsley for Progress 8. We are a happy and vibrant school who serves the communities of Darton, Kexborough and surrounding areas. We are within easy reach of Leeds, Wakefield and Sheffield, as the academy is located minutes from J38 of the M1. All students are valued, regardless of their background or ability. We treat our young people with respect, and give them all the opportunity to achieve their potential. Our goal is for all our students to leave us as happy, well-qualified, confident young adults who go on to excel in the local sixth-forms, colleges, universities, and the wider world.
Our amazing building offers exceptional facilities, we have superb sports facilities, modern science labs and excellent performance spaces. The school is continuing to develop its ICT infrastructure and use of mobile and new technologies to support and enhance learning.
This role would be a wonderful opportunity for any candidate with senior leadership experience, who wishes to take their career to the next level and who has aspirations of headship. You would be joining an academy that places learning at the heart of everything it does and with high quality CPD being available to all staff.
We continually reflect on our practice and that of the school as a whole and look for ways in which we can improve the experience of our learners. You must be able to demonstrate the same level of passion and commitment. As a Senior Leader you will be a highly visible part of our school community and must therefore model the highest levels of professionalism, whilst being able to develop strong working relationships with staff and students.
If you believe you have the experience, vision and drive required for this role then we would like to hear from you.
For an informal chat about this position please call Elaine Briggs, Associate Principal, on 07539 379091.
1. To undertake the full range of duties and responsibilities as required by the Principal as set out in:
- The School Teachers Pay and Conditions of Service
- The roles and responsibilities set out in the job description for the substantive post held by the applicant
- Any other duties commensurate to the post title and grade, which the Principal may deem appropriate
2. To have a ‘deep’ as their major role (i.e. Learning / Experience / Support / Leadership)
3. To ensure that intervention, challenge and support is provided across all curriculum areas to ensure the highest possible outcomes are achieved for students
4. To ensure all the Trusts systems and policies are implemented consistently and to a high standard
5. To ensure effective teaching and learning throughout the academy through effective monitoring, evaluating, challenging and developing staff and modelling excellent practice through their own teaching
6. To participate in continuous professional development and support /consultancy work in at least one other academy per year
7. To actively promote equality of opportunity for all students and staff
8. To act as Principal of the academy as may be required
Data security and confidentiality
- To ensure strict confidentiality in all areas of work.
- To work and process personal and sensitive information in accordance with Data Protection Act 2018 including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To ensure work is conducted in a way that protects the safety and security of information (e.g. strong passwords, reporting breaches, securing paper records, securely disposing of records).
- To understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare at all times, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer immediately.
- To comply with the Trust and academy’s policies and procedures at all times.
To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
We expect you to:
- Be flexible in order to meet the constantly changing demand of the role
- Be prepared to undertake outreach work on behalf of the academy
- Keep up to date on educational development, strategy and thinking
- Actively pursue your own development as a potential Principal
- Show commitment to the rigorous continuous improvement of the academy
- Demonstrate a positive commitment to working with all stakeholders (students, parents, staff, etc) to improve the performance of the academy
- Put ‘students first’ in everything you do
- Be committed to providing a high quality workforce in order to provide the best possible opportunity for all our students
This job description will be reviewed annually and may be subject to amendment or modification at any time after consultation with the postholder. It is not a comprehensive statement of procedures and tasks, but sets out the main expectations of the academy in relation to the postholder’s professional responsibilities and duties. Elements of this job description and changes to it may be agreed at the request of the Principal or the incumbent of the post.
Postholders will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from a Senior Leader to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in the job description.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- Graduate with Qualified Teacher Status (A/C)
- Up to date knowledge in subject, national policy, pedagogy, classroom management strategies, research/inspection findings and statutory requirements (A/I)
- A knowledge of the new professional teaching standards (A/I)
- Significant experience at senior leadership level (A/I/R)
- An outstanding classroom practitioner with the highest expectations for the welfare and progress of all students (A/I/R)
- Have a thorough understanding of recent curriculum developments (A/I/R)
- Experience of monitoring and improving the quality of teaching and learning through rigorous quality assurance procedures (A/I/R)
- Proven experience of developing good working relationships with all stakeholders (A/I/R)
- Proven experience in the analysis of performance data for the purposes of target setting, monitoring and evaluation (A/I/R)
- Experience of strategic planning (A/I/R)
- Proven commitment to excellent and respectful behaviour from the whole academy community (A/I/R)
- Proven successful experience of leading whole school initiatives aimed at raising standards (A/I/R)
- Demonstrable ability to work effectively in a wide range of partnerships to achieve academy improvements (A/I/R)
- Proven ability to lead, manage and motivate teams effectively (A/I/R)
- Excellent communication skills in a variety of contexts (A/I/R)
- Lead, manage and co-ordinate staff through an effective team based approach (A/I)
- Ability to understand complex organisations and work with clearly defined line management and supervision structures (A/I/R)
- Ability to monitor and evaluate the work of others; to offer support and intervention where necessary (A/I/R)
- Commitment to raising standards and aspirations to ensure high levels of achievement and progress (A/I)
- Ability to work on own initiative and be pro-active (A/I/R)
- Work in ways that promote equality of opportunity, participation, diversity and responsibility (A/I)
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Academy’s Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Child Protection Policies (A/I)
- A commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people (A/I)
- The postholder will require an enhanced DBS if offered the position (academy will arrange) (C)
- Further professional/academic study including NPQH or the desire to work towards it (A/C)
- Comprehensive knowledge of performance management requirements in an educational context (A/I)