Purpose of the job:
Garforth Academy are looking to appoint a Cover-Coordinator to join our academy team in January 2021 to cover maternity leave.
This role is in conjunction with HR Adminstrative Officer job also advertised. Please ensure when applying for this role, you have considered both the HR Admin Officer Job Specification/Person Specification and Cover Co-ordinator, as this is a combined role starting at 7.15AM.
To manage cover for day to day and longer term absences for teaching staff to minimise the disruption to the learning process. This is a key role in supporting the day-to-day running of the school and the successful applicant must be IT literate and competent in using a variety of software packages.
Working weeks for this role is term time only plus 2 days (38 weeks + 2 days).
If you choose to come and join us, you will become part of a well-established, talented and committed team of staff.
With nearly 2000 students aged between 11 and 18 Garforth Academy is a busy and vibrant place. The academy serves a predominantly urban catchment area, which includes Garforth, Kippax, Aberford, Micklefield, Swillington and Colton among others. We are a large and oversubscribed academy, and we pride ourselves on knowing our students well and doing our best to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
Why join our academy?
Our staff are talented, enthusiastic and strive to deliver innovative learning experiences to our young people. They also enrich, guide and support our students to ensure they are fully prepared and equipped to enter the competitive world of work or further studies. We pride ourselves on providing our students with the knowledge, skills and resilience to achieve the highest possible standards academically, socially and personally.
We have a staff rewards budget that encourages staff to socialise both as subject teams and as a whole staff. We also have access to a staff benefits scheme. At Garforth, we value the continuous professional development of all our employees and recognise that our staff and students are most successful when they feel happy, valued, challenged and supported to achieve their very best. We have a comprehensive CPD programme for all our staff.
In 2020 our outcomes at both KS4 and KS5 were again well above national expectations in both attainment and progress and a huge variety of extra-curricular activities were available to our students from after school clubs to day trips, to sports/musical events, Duke of Edinburgh weekends to week long residentials abroad.
We are confident our Academy provides a fantastic teaching environment, whether you are beginning your career or looking to further develop it, and we would encourage you to come and see for yourself! This is a fantastic opportunity to join an outstanding team within a high-performing multi academy trust with exciting career prospects for successful applicants.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting concerns to an appropriate person.
- To be responsible for managing and organising cover for absent staff both teaching and non-teaching.
- To ensure that cover staff have the necessary pre-employment checks and skills/qualifications in place prior to starting work in the academy.
- To be responsible for organising and providing induction and support for supply staff both teaching and non-teaching.
- To implement and produce cover reports and statistics for monitoring purposes when required.
- To be responsible for ensuring that safeguarding requirements and other relevant regulations are in place and adhered to including the completion and recording of necessary checks.
- To be responsible for the management and maintenance of the school diary.
- To arrange and communicate day-to-day changes in staffing and rooming (e.g. planning for timetable/staffing changes as a result of exams, in-house events, educational visits etc).
- To buy in additional cover as required in line with Trust and Academy policies.
- To communicate unplanned absences to learning and department leaders/ line managers.
- To ensure appropriate cover work is available for cover staff in line with academy policy.
- To use the Sims system to keep a record of staff absence and provide accurate reports.
- To work under the guidance of senior teaching staff to provide cover for planned and unplanned absence of teachers within the agreed system of supervision.
- To ensure strict confidentiality in all areas of work.
- To work and process personal and sensitive information in accordance with Data Protection Act 2018 including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To ensure work is conducted in a way that protects the safety and security of information (e.g. strong passwords, reporting breaches, securing paper records, securely disposing of records).
- Contribute to the life of the school community, and to support its ethos and policies.
- Appreciate and support the role of other professionals.
- Participate in appraisal, training and professional development as required.
- Be aware of the responsibility for personal Health, Safety and Welfare and that of others who may be affected by your actions or inactions.
- Be aware of the specific issues relating to Health & Safety in your area and make appropriate assessments of any risk.
- Co-operate with the employer on all issues to do with Health, Safety & Welfare.
- To understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare at all times, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer immediately.
- To comply with the Trust and academy’s policies and procedures at all times.
To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- GCSE or equivalent in English and Maths at Grade C (A/C)
- Knowledge of general office procedures and practice (A/I/C)
- Knowledge of SIMS (A/I)
- A recognised and relevant vocational qualification (NVQ level 4) and/or equivalent practical work experience (A/I/C)
- Communicating and working effectively, confidently and respectfully with senior colleagues whilst maintaining confidentiality (A/I/R)
- Working within a school and team environment (A/I)
- Working within a partnership context, including co-ordinating collaborative activities and plans (A/I)
- Highly organised and self-motivated, with the ability to manage time to ensure that deadlines are met (A/I/R)
- ICT skills to produce quality reports and documents, and to create and manage simple databases (A/I)
- Able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with a wide range of people (A/I)
- Ability to work as part of a team (A/I)
- Ability to work independently, with good awareness of when to take initiative and when to check and confirm actions (A/I)
- Ability to be well organised and accurate in all aspects of the role with the ability to prioritise (A/I)
- Ability to work well under pressure and to respect sensitive and confidential work (A/I/R)
- Ability to form strong and effective working relationships with colleagues, within the academies and in partner organisations, even when working remotely (A/I/R)
- Ability to use SIMS (A/I/R)
- Ability to use other ICT packages as required (A/I/R)
- Diplomacy and discretion and the ability to appropriately manage confidential information (A/I)
- Proven ability to work as a team member to achieve goals in effective co-operation (A/I)
- To display a responsible and co-operative attitude to working towards the achievement of the organisation aims and objectives (A/I)
- Commitment to own personal development and learning (I)
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Academies’ Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Child Protection Policies (A/I)
- The post holder will require an enhanced DBS (C)