Purpose of the job:
De Lacy Academy are looking to appoint a Cleaner to join our academy in November 2020.
Do you want to work for a Trust that is transforming educational outcomes for students in some of the most deprived areas in the North of England? If so this could be the role for you.
Here at De Lacy Academy we are on a journey of rapid improvement. We routinely rank amongst the highest performing schools in Wakefield and similar schools in the country. For example, in 2018 we were number 1 for similar schools in England and Wales.
Your new school
With 725 pupils aged between 11 and 16 housed in a building that has benefited from much recent investment, De Lacy is a busy and vibrant place. We serve the ex-mining area of Knottingley and draw increasingly from the surrounding areas. We are experiencing a period of unprecedented growth, for example in 2019 88 students left year 11 and 168 started in Y7. This was a similar picture in 2020.
Your new role
In your new role you will work as part of the site management team to maintain the cleanliness of the academy site to ensure it is a safe and clean place to work. .
If you feel you have the necessary skills and experience required for this position then we would very much like to hear from you.
Why join our academy?
Our staff are talented and enthusiastic and have all contributed to the academy’s success story. We have a staff rewards budget and socialise both as subject teams and as a whole staff. We also have access to a staff benefits scheme. At De Lacy, we value the continuous professional development of all our employees and recognise that our staff and students are most successful when they feel happy, valued, challenged and supported to achieve their very best. Your new school is based next door to Education House, the center of Delta Academies Trust, making access to high quality CPD easy and convenient. In addition, De Lacy benefits from close access to the M62, the A1 and a local train station. You would be joining a highly skilled and committed staff. It is a source of pride to us that we retain such a high percentage of staff and trainee teachers.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join an outstanding team within a high-performing multi academy trust with exciting career prospects for successful applicants.
- To empty and wash out dustbins and waste containers.
- To dust.
- To polish or wipe available surfaces (tables, desks, shelves, work surfaces, etc).
- To move furniture so that floors can be cleaned.
- To vacuum floors and material furniture.
- To sweep, scrub, buff, polish or mop floors as appropriate.
- To clean windows and glass door panels.
- To remove chewing gum and graffiti.
- To wipe or wash walls, lockers, window ledges, skirting boards, radiators and pipework and furniture, etc. as required.
- To straighten the furniture, close windows, water plants and leave rooms looking tidy.
- To clean showers, sinks and washbasins and the surrounding areas.
- To clean toilets and urinals.
- To keep the cleaner’s cupboard tidy.
- To look after the equipment and report any faults to the cleaning supervisor.
- To ensure that chemicals are handled, stored and used correctly.
- To ensure that all health and safety instructions are followed at all times.
- To attend any necessary training relevant to the post.
- To be aware of and work in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018, including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare at all times, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer immediately.
- To comply with the Trust and academy’s policies and procedures at all times.
To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- Working in a cleaning role (A/I)
- Basic literacy/record keeping skills (A/I)
- Ability to relate well to children and adults (A/I)
- Ability to work constructively as part of a team (A/I/R)
- Commitment to self and team development (A/R)
- A good sense of humour (A/I)
- Able to maintain a safe, calm and happy ethos (A/I)
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Academy’s Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Child Protection Policies (A/I)
- A professional responsibility to promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people (A/I)
- The post holder will require an enhanced DBS (C)
- Working a school or office environment (A/I)