One to One Maths Tutor
Purpose of the job:
The Laurel Academy are looking to appoint a One to One Maths Tutor to join our academy team in November 2020. You will deliver tuition to identified students, in small groups or on a one to one basis.
Salary: £20 per hour (unqualified), £29 per hour (qualified)
The Laurel Academy is an 11 -16 Academy of 620 pupils serving the town of Mexborough and its surrounding area. The Laurel has a rich history within the town since it was established in 1904 and has numerous notable alumni including Poet Laureate Ted Hughes. Mexborough is an ex mining town with a strong sense of community and some wonderful pupils. People who visit the Academy always comment on the excellent behaviour and conduct of the pupils and the welcoming ethos of the Academy. The Laurel is a great place to work where you can make a real difference to the lives of young people
If you feel you have the necessary skills and experience required for this position then we would very much like to hear from you.
You will be joining an ambitious, committed and hardworking team who are passionate about the difference we can make to our young people, staff, families and the wider community.
- To deliver tuition through organising and supporting the learning of identified students in order to raise their levels of attainment. To lead on improving rates of progression for identified students by liaising with the key stakeholders about the learning
- To meet with the class teacher before tutoring, to identify areas for development and support, plan the student’s personalised learning programme and agree outcomes
- To establish a relationship and understanding of learning needs before tutoring begins and agree time and location of tutoring
- Liaise with the class teacher during the tuition
- Provide feedback to class teacher/Vice Principal and agree next steps
- Liaise, as required, with a range of contacts, to include: Principal, Class teacher and/or subject leader and students
- To ensure strict confidentiality in all areas of work.
- To work and process personal and sensitive information in accordance with Data Protection Act 2018 including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To ensure work is conducted in a way that protects the safety and security of information (e.g. strong passwords, reporting breaches, securing paper records, securely disposing of records)
- To understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare at all times, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer immediately.
- To comply with the Trust and academy’s policies and procedures at all times.
To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
The job description will be reviewed as appropriate and may be subject to amendment or modification at any time after consultation with the post holder.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- Educated to A’ Level standard in relevant subject (A/C)
- The ability to be an excellent classroom practitioner (I/R)
- Understanding of health and safety issues and good practice (A/I)
- Good organisational and personal management skills (A/I)
- Effective planning and teaching (A/I/R)
- Effective behaviour management (A/I/R)
- An ability to demand high standards (A/I/R)
- Work independently and be a team player (A/I/R)
- An ability to develop good working relationships with students and staff (A/I/R)
- Effective time-management (A/I)
- The ability to meet deadlines (A/I)
- Good ICT skills (A)
- Commitment to self and team development (A/I)
- Work in ways that promote equality of opportunity, participation, diversity and responsibility (A/I)
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Academy’s Equal Opportunities, Health & Safety and Child Protection policies (A/I)
- The post holder will require an enhanced DBS check if offered the position (C)
- PGCE/Cert Ed (A/C)
- Previous experience of working with young people (A/I)
- Experience of delivering similar courses (A/I)