One to One KS3 Reading Tutor
Purpose of the job:
Don Valley Academy are looking to appoint a One to One KS3 Reading Tutor to join our academy in Autumn 2021. You will deliver tuition to identified students, in small groups or on a one to one basis.
Salary is £20 per hour for UQT (unqualified teacher status), £29 per hour for QTS (qualified teacher status).
Don Valley Academy is proud to be rated Ofsted GOOD (April 2019) for the first time in its history! This has been achieved by having dedicated and enthusiastic staff who are committed to giving our community an extraordinary educational experience.
We are a vibrant 11-18 Academy with 1074 students on roll, including 37 at Post 16. We benefit from a new building which opened in November 2016 enabling our students and staff to use state of the art facilities. We serve a significantly deprived community with 42% of students being pupil premium and 38% being in the bottom 10% for deprivation. Despite these challenges, you will find Don Valley students to be polite and engaged with learning.
As a community we embrace all opportunities and strive to support and challenge each other. We have a comprehensive professional development calendar which is tailored specifically to meet the current needs. Staff enjoy the leadership opportunities found within our ‘DEEPs’ model and are able to gain experiences of roles across the Academy from Aspiring Leaders to Associate Assistant Principals.
Collaboration is at the heart of the Academy for both students and staff and you will find Don Valley Academy to be positive and reflective towards their own professionalism, with wellbeing as a pivotal aspect of our Academy ethos.
- To deliver tuition through organising and supporting the learning of identified students in order to raise their levels of attainment. To lead on improving rates of progression for identified students by liaising with the key stakeholders about the learning
- To meet with the class teacher before tutoring, to identify areas for development and support, plan the student’s personalised learning programme and agree outcomes
- To establish a relationship and understanding of learning needs before tutoring begins and agree time and location of tutoring
- Liaise with the class teacher during the tuition
- Provide feedback to class teacher/Vice Principal and agree next steps
- Liaise, as required, with a range of contacts, to include: Principal, Class teacher and/or subject leader and students
- To ensure strict confidentiality in all areas of work.
- To work and process personal and sensitive information in accordance with Data Protection Act 2018 including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To ensure work is conducted in a way that protects the safety and security of information (e.g. strong passwords, reporting breaches, securing paper records, securely disposing of records)
- To understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare at all times, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer immediately.
- To comply with the Trust and academy’s policies and procedures at all times.
To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
The job description will be reviewed as appropriate and may be subject to amendment or modification at any time after consultation with the post holder.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- Educated to A’ Level standard in relevant subject (A/C)
- The ability to be an excellent classroom practitioner (I/R)
- Understanding of health and safety issues and good practice (A/I)
- Good organisational and personal management skills (A/I)
- Effective planning and teaching (A/I/R)
- Effective behaviour management (A/I/R)
- An ability to demand high standards (A/I/R)
- Work independently and be a team player (A/I/R)
- An ability to develop good working relationships with students and staff (A/I/R)
- Effective time-management (A/I)
- The ability to meet deadlines (A/I)
- Good ICT skills (A)
- Commitment to self and team development (A/I)
- Work in ways that promote equality of opportunity, participation, diversity and responsibility (A/I)
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Academy’s Equal Opportunities, Health & Safety and Child Protection policies (A/I)
- The post holder will require an enhanced DBS check if offered the position (C)
- PGCE/Cert Ed (A/C)
- Previous experience of working with young people (A/I)
- Experience of delivering similar courses (A/I)