Apprentice Administration Assistant
Purpose of the job:
Simpson’s Lane Academy are looking to appoint an Apprentice Administrative Assistant to join our academy in November 2021. The role will involve working under supervision and direction to provide routine clerical, administrative support and receptionist support to the Academy.
The salary is £5 per hour (above the national apprenticeship rate).
At Simpson’s Lane, we believe that when staff, parents and children work together, all children, irrespective of their background, can succeed and achieve their ambitions. It is our mission to offer every child a high quality education in a supportive, safe and challenging environment in which they feel valued and are inspired to become life-long learners who are ‘striving to be the best’.
The academy is located on the Warwick Estate in Knottingley. The academy is a slightly larger than averaged sized academy, catering for pupils from the Early Years Foundation Stage, through Key Stage 1 into Key Stage 2. There are currently 350 pupils on roll, including 40 part time Nursery pupils.
All of our staff feel proud to be part of our academy staff, this is reflected in the atmosphere and learning environments.
Visits to the academy would be warmly welcomed by appointment. Please contact the academy on 01977 722515 if you would like to arrange a visit.
Duties & responsibilities:
- Under supervision undertake reception duties, being the first point of contact for visitors, parents and pupils, answering routine telephone and face to face enquiries and the signing in and out of visitors.
- Under supervision complete registers for pupils and provide reports for pupil attendance.
- Under supervision complete register for school dinners.
- Under supervision collect dinner, club and trip money.
- Under supervision provide routine clerical support e.g. photocopying, filing, faxing, emailing, and completing routine forms.
- Under supervision deal with deliveries to the academy including checking against the goods received note and reporting discrepancies.
- Under supervision ensure that everyone is dealt with in a courteous, professional, calm and friendly manner.
- Under supervision provide an excellent customer service to parents, pupils, colleagues and visitors to the Academy.
- Under supervision assist in the organisation of afterschool clubs/activities.
- Under supervision support team members, sharing learning and best practice in order to contribute to overall team effectiveness.
- Under supervision assist with pupil’s first aid and welfare duties, looking after sick pupils, liaising with parents/staff as required.
- Under supervision assist with arrangements for visits by the Academy nurse, photographer, etc.
- Under supervision provide general support for the Office Manager including finance duties.
- Under supervision provide clerical support if needed to Admin Assistant, teaching staff and the Pastoral Manager.
- Under supervision maintain manual and computerised records/management information system
- Under supervision undertake typing, word processing and other IT based tasks.
- Under supervision sort and distribute post.
- Under supervision report inappropriate pupil behaviour and convey serious incidents to the Office Manager/Principal as appropriate.
- To be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, inclusion, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
- To participate in training and other learning activities and performance development as required.
- To ensure strict confidentiality in all areas of work.
- To work and process personal and sensitive information in accordance with Data Protection Act 2018 including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To ensure work is conducted in a way that protects the safety and security of information (e.g. strong passwords, reporting breaches, securing paper records, securely disposing of records).
- To understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare at all times, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer immediately.
- To comply with the Trust and academy’s policies and procedures at all times.
To undertake other reasonable duties with guidance and supervision, as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
External: Contractors, suppliers, parents, external agency professionals, other Trust staff.
Internal: Students, staff, AAB members, parents and visitors to the academy.
This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- GCSE Grade C in English and Maths, or equivalent (A/I/C)
- Knowledge of a range of standard computer packages e.g. Microsoft Office, Outlook email (A/I)
- Able to communicate clearly face to face, by telephone and in writing with a wide range of people in a friendly and professional manner. (A/I/R)
- Able to relate well to children and adults (A/I)
- Able to work sensitively with confidential information (A/I/R)
- Able to work with a high level of accuracy (A/I/R)
- Commitment to self and team development (A/I)
- Able to maintain a safe, calm and happy ethos (A/I)
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Academy’s Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Child Protection Policies (A/I)
- A professional responsibility to promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people (A/I)
- The post holder will require an enhanced DBS (C)
- RSA Level 2 word processing, or equivalent (A/I/C)
- Work experience with regard to reception/office work/working with the general public. (A/I)
- Familiarity with relevant school procedures, policies and guidelines (A/I)