Purpose of the job:
Don Valley Academy are looking to appoint a Catering Assistant to join our academy in Autumn 2021, to be responsible for preparing food and serving to staff and students.
Don Valley Academy is proud to be rated Ofsted GOOD (April 2019) for the first time in its history! This has been achieved by having dedicated and enthusiastic staff who are committed to giving our community an extraordinary educational experience.
We are a vibrant 11-18 Academy with 1098 students on roll. We benefit from a new building which opened in November 2016 enabling our students and staff to use state of the art facilities. We serve a significantly deprived community with 42% of students being pupil premium and 38% being in the bottom 10% for deprivation. Despite these challenges, you will find Don Valley students to be polite and engaged with learning.
contact the academy on 01302 651035 if you would like to discuss this role.
Duties & responsibilities:
- To prepare, cook and serve food to students, staff and visitors
- To have a relevant basic food hygiene qualification
- To be responsible for the general cleanliness of the kitchen and all equipment
- To promote an efficient and polite service and good customer relations
- To work closely with all staff to ensure a smooth and pleasant eating experience
- To attend any staff meetings or training courses necessary to promote good working practices within the team
- To promote the objectives of the academy via the provision of a quality service which is efficient and effective at all times
- To be based within a kitchen environment, but with flexibility to cover within other areas as required
- To be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, inclusion, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person
- To be aware of and support equal opportunities policies
- To contribute to the overall ethos/work/aims of the Academy and Trust
- To be aware of and work in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018, including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare at all times, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer immediately.
- To comply with the Trust and academy’s policies and procedures at all times.
- To ensure strict confidentiality in all areas of work.
- To work and process personal and sensitive information in accordance with Data Protection Act 2018 including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To ensure work is conducted in a way that protects the safety and security of information (e.g. strong passwords, reporting breaches, securing paper records, securely disposing of records).
To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
External: Suppliers, parents, other Trust staff
Internal: Students, staff, AAB members, parents and visitors to the academy
This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- A good standard of written and oral language skills (A/I)
- Basic Food Hygiene qualification (A/I)
- Awareness of food safety issues (A/I)
- General knowledge and experience of working with food (A/I)
- Flexibility (A/I)
- Hard working (A/I)
- Trust worthy (A/I)
- Able to relate well to children and adults (A/I)
- Able to work constructively as part of a team and on their own initiative (A/I/R)
- Commitment to self and team development (A/I)
- Able to maintain a safe, calm and happy ethos (A/I)
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Academy’s Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Child Protection Policies (A/I)
- A professional responsibility to promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people (A/I)
- The post holder will require an enhanced DBS (C)
- Working in a school canteen or kitchen environment (A/I)
- Using a variety of kitchen and catering equipment (A/I)
- Working in large premises (A/I)