One to One Teaching / Care Assistant
Purpose of the job:
Melior Community Academy are looking to appoint a One to One Teaching / Care Assistant to join our academy in January 2022. The role will involve providing one to one support for pupils with special educational and/or medical needs and to support access to learning for pupils.
Melior Community Academy is a coeducational secondary school located in Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire. The Academy opened in January 2013 for students aged 11-16. We are a fully inclusive Academy with a distinctively warm ethos and continue to have the highest aspirations for, and expectations of, our students. The school has recently been rebuilt and facilities are excellent, located within easy commuting distance of the main urban areas this is a great place to work.
We are looking to recruit well qualified and talented staff who will complement and add to a dynamic team and who have all the right attributes to make a valid contribution to the wider life of the school and ensure that students are making the right progress.
Visits to the academy are warmly welcomed by appointment through the academy on 01724 868666.
Support the pupil by:
· Providing personal/intimate care and supporting on a one to one basis
· Carrying out pre-determined educational activities and work programmes whilst promoting independent learning.
· Working to establish a supportive relationship with the children and parents concerned.
· Promoting and reinforcing the child’s self-esteem.
Support the Teacher by:
· Monitoring individual children’s needs and reporting these to their designated supervisor as appropriate.
· Keep such records of the children’s development as are required by the Academy.
· Supporting the teacher with educational activities.
Support the Academy by:
· Being aware of the Academy’s policies and procedures
· Being aware of confidential issues to home/pupil/teacher/school work and to keep confidence as appropriate.
Any special conditions of service
· There is a requirement to undergo an enhanced DBS check.
· Intimate care is required.
To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- A good standard of education particularly in Maths and English (A/C)
- To be aware of policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection (A/I)
- Participate in development and training opportunities (A/I)
- Good communication skills both oral and written (A/I/R)
- Use basic technology – computer, video, photocopier (A/I)
- Ability to build positive relationships with all stakeholders (A/I)
- Ability to work constructively as part of a team (A/I/R)
- Commitment to self and team development (A/I)
- Work in ways that promote equality of opportunity, participation, diversity and responsibility (A/I)
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Academy’s Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Child Protection Policies (A/I)
- A professional responsibility to promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people (A/I)
- The post holder will require an enhanced DBS (C)
- Working with or caring for children of relevant age (A/I)
- Understanding classroom roles and responsibilities and your own position within these (A/I)
- Appropriate knowledge of first aid (A)
- Completion of DfES Teacher Assistant Induction Programme or equivalent (A/C)
- Previous experience of working with young people preferably in a school setting (A/I)