Assistant Finance Director
Purpose of the job:
At Delta Academies Trust, our mission is “improving lives”. If you share our values and are proud of a job well done, collaborative in working well with others and ambitious to make things better, then we would like to hear from you.
We are currently looking for an Assistant Finance Director, to join our friendly team based at our Head Office in Knottingley, West Yorkshire, as soon as possible. We are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it is important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
As the Assistant Finance Director, you will report directly to the Chief Finance & Operations Officer (CFOO) and take responsibility for the day-to-day financial management, reporting and compliance in line with the statutory requirements, Trust’s exempt charitable status and funding agreement and compliance with the Trust Financial Regulations Handbook. You will be involved in the line management of the central Finance Managers, the annual internal and external audit process as well as reviewing VAT and other associated returns and the completion of statutory returns.
This is a role where you will gain exposure to many areas of the Trust operations and could input into the wider financial operations of the Trust, suggesting ways we can improve and develop further, in both our central and academy based operations.
We offer an extensive range of opportunities, incentives and benefits to our staff including:
- Contributory pension scheme with the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- 36 days holiday entitlement, increasing to 39 days after 5 years’ service (including Bank Holidays)
- Access to the Delta benefits website with discounts on retailers, holidays, days out, etc.
- Access to Cycle to Work scheme, car leasing and technology scheme
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Training and development opportunities
At Delta, we are passionate that our workforce reflects the communities we serve. Our ambition is that everyone regardless of level, role, or background will enjoy an environment of respect, inclusion and belonging. We actively remove barriers to ensure everyone is supported and can reach their potential with us. We take active steps to encourage people from a broad range of backgrounds to apply for jobs at Delta, as we believe a diverse, inclusive company will enable everyone to thrive. We are a disability confident employer and will make reasonable adjustments as required. We are committed to supporting part time and flexible working and believe getting the balance right is critical to personal and professional success.
1. Ensuring compliance with the Trust’s Financial Regulations Handbook.
2. Supporting the work undertaken by the Core Finance Managers, as required, and ensuring all deadlines are met with regard to the submission and review of all monthly financial returns submitted by the academies to core finance.
3. Supporting the CFOO in overseeing all central transactions for the Trust, including but not limited to:
· VAT returns, BIK and PAYE settlement agreements
· Central procurement
· Recharges/Inter-company transactions
· Capital spend.
4. Supporting the CFOO in the Financial management and reporting for the Trust, including:
· the timely setting and monitoring of budgets and medium-term plans
· cash flow analysis
· management and financial accounts
· advice and support to inform decision making at all levels.
5. Supporting the CFOO in the review and consolidation of all budgets for submission to the ESFA.
6. Reviewing monthly/annual results and investigating variances taking action where necessary, including benchmarking, where necessary, of academy spend against similar schools.
7. Answering day to day finance queries raised by Core Finance Managers and/or academy finance staff.
8. Working with the CFOO to ensure all returns to DfE/EFSA are made within the timescales set out within the Academies Trust Handbook.
9. Working with the CFOO in the preparation and/or review of the statutory accounts for the Trust.
10. Attending and presenting to the Finance, Capital and Resources Committee as required.
11. Participating in wider Trust meetings and working groups as required.
12. Overseeing finance systems currently in use, including supporting the CFOO with the evaluation of new technology to meet the Trust's financial data processing, control, and reporting requirements.
13. Supporting the CFOO in the preparation of due diligence reports and the collection of financial information required to inform decision making around academy conversion and brokerage.
14. Reviewing procurement systems and processes ensuring the Trust achieves best value through its external contracts.
15. Improving financial reporting and understanding as appropriate by delivering training and development for Core Finance Managers and the academy-based finance teams as required.
16. You will be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, inclusion, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person without delay.
17. You will participate in training and other learning activities and performance development as required.
18. You will ensure you carry out your role in a way that demands high standards whilst supporting inclusion and welcoming diverse thinking.
19. You will ensure strict confidentiality in all areas of work.
20. You will work and process personal and sensitive information in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 including the UK General Data Protection Regulations (UK GDPR).
21. You will ensure work is conducted in a way that protects the safety and security of information (e.g., strong passwords, reporting breaches, securing paper records, securely disposing of records).
22. You will understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, always ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer at once.
23. You will always comply with the Trust’s policies and procedures.
24. You will undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
- Team player
- Can-do attitude
- Problem solver
- Clear communicator
- Solution focused
CONTACTS AND RELATIONSHIPS:
Trust Staff – in regular contact with Trust staff within finance, payroll and human resources.
Managers - in regular contact with Executive and Senior leaders within the Trust and academies.
Support Staff – in daily contact with support staff who are involved in finance and administration.
External – in regular contact with external agencies/suppliers/contractors as required.
This job description is provided for guidance only and does not form part of the contract of employment.
The post holder will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- A recognised accountancy qualification (e.g., ACCA, ACA, CIMA) (C)
- Strong working knowledge of best practice in the financial field (A/I)
- Proven successful experience in financial management at a senior level (A/I/R)
- Proven experience of statutory accounts preparation and establishing financial systems in an organisation (A/I/R)
- Proven experience of successfully line managing people (A/R)
- Strong administration and organisational skills (A/I/R)
- Proven excellence in communicating effectively with others (I/R)
- Strong team skills (I/R)
- High emotional intelligence (A/I/R)
- Sound experience of using accounts and budgetary software (A/I/R)
- Knowledge of best value and financial regulations (A/I/R)
- Experience working in a busy finance department (A/R)
- Ability to form and maintain appropriate and effective relationships with others (R)
- Excellent numeracy and literacy skills (I)
- Strong ICT skills (I/R)
- Excellent presentation and reporting writing skills (A/I/R)
- Proven high attention to detail and accuracy (A/I/R)
- Proven ability to analyse, interpret and present data (I/R)
- Proven ability to work under pressure and to deadlines (A/I/R)
- Motivation to support staff in achieving the best outcomes for children and young people by advising on appropriate allocation of financial resources (I/R)
- Use of a car for business use (business mileage expenses reimbursed) (C)
- Solid understanding of the Academy Trust Handbook (A/I/R)
- Understanding of the Charity SORP (A/I)
- Proven experience of working in finance within an education setting (A/R)
- Proven experience of developing strong working relationships with a range of stakeholders (A/I/R)