Purpose of the job:
Melior Community Academy are looking to appoint a Tutor of History to join our academy in January 2022 on a casual basis for hours as and when required. You will deliver tuition to identified students, in small groups or on a one-to-one basis.
The salary is £20 per hour UQT (unqualified teacher status), £29 per hour QTS (qualified teacher status)
Melior Community Academy is a coeducational secondary school located in Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire. The Academy opened in January 2013 for students aged 11-16. We are a fully inclusive Academy with a distinctively warm ethos and continue to have the highest aspirations for, and expectations of, our students. The school has recently been rebuilt and facilities are excellent, located within easy commuting distance of the main urban areas this is a great place to work.
We are looking to recruit well qualified and talented staff who will complement and add to a dynamic team and who have all the right attributes to make a valid contribution to the wider life of the school and ensure that students are making the right progress.
Please contact the academy on 01724 868666 if you would like to discuss this role.
- To deliver tuition through organising and supporting the learning of identified students in order to raise their levels of attainment. To lead on improving rates of progression for identified students by liaising with the key stakeholders about the learning
- To meet with the class teacher before tutoring, to identify areas for development and support, plan the student’s personalised learning programme and agree outcomes
- To establish a relationship and understanding of learning needs before tutoring begins and agree time and location of tutoring
- Liaise with the class teacher during the tuition
- Provide feedback to class teacher/Vice Principal and agree next steps
- Liaise, as required, with a range of contacts, to include: Principal, Class teacher and/or subject leader and students
- To ensure strict confidentiality in all areas of work.
- To work and process personal and sensitive information in accordance with Data Protection Act 2018 including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To ensure work is conducted in a way that protects the safety and security of information (e.g. strong passwords, reporting breaches, securing paper records, securely disposing of records)
- To understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare at all times, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer immediately.
- To comply with the Trust and academy’s policies and procedures at all times.
To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
The job description will be reviewed as appropriate and may be subject to amendment or modification at any time after consultation with the post holder.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- Educated to A’ Level standard in relevant subject (A/C)
- The ability to be an excellent classroom practitioner (I/R)
- Understanding of health and safety issues and good practice (A/I)
- Good organisational and personal management skills (A/I)
- Effective planning and teaching (A/I/R)
- Effective behaviour management (A/I/R)
- An ability to demand high standards (A/I/R)
- Work independently and be a team player (A/I/R)
- An ability to develop good working relationships with students and staff (A/I/R)
- Effective time-management (A/I)
- The ability to meet deadlines (A/I)
- Good ICT skills (A)
- Commitment to self and team development (A/I)
- Work in ways that promote equality of opportunity, participation, diversity and responsibility (A/I)
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Academy’s Equal Opportunities, Health & Safety and Child Protection policies (A/I)
- The post holder will require an enhanced DBS check if offered the position (C)
- PGCE/Cert Ed (A/C)
- Previous experience of working with young people (A/I)
- Experience of delivering similar courses (A/I)