Finance & Administration Officer
Purpose of the job:
The Laurel Academy are looking to appoint a Finance and Administration Officer to join our academy team in November 2021. You will provide a comprehensive range of confidential administrative and financial services to the Principal. You will also ensure the academy’s financial management is sound and procedures are adhered to, and relevant reports are forwarded to Delta central finance in timely manner. You will liaise with the Principal to ensure the smooth running of the academy administration processes on a day to day basis
The Laurel Academy is an 11 -16 Academy of 660 pupils serving the town of Mexborough and its surrounding area. The Laurel has a rich history within the town since it was established in 1904 and has numerous notable alumni including Poet Laureate Ted Hughes. Mexborough is an ex mining town with a strong sense of community and some wonderful pupils. People who visit the Academy always comment on the excellent behaviour and conduct of the pupils and the welcoming ethos of the Academy. The Laurel is a great place to work where you can make a real difference to the lives of young people
If you feel you have the necessary skills and experience required for this position then we would very much like to hear from you.
You will be joining an ambitious, committed and hardworking team who are passionate about the difference we can make to our young people, staff, families and the wider community.
If you would like an informal discussion about this role, please telephone the academy on 01709 302244.
Duties and responsibilities:
- To liaise and work with Delta core finance to undertake relevant administration to the academy, advising as appropriate to both the management team and staff of best practice and procedures to be followed
- To manage the processing of orders, invoices and payment for goods and services, using Civica software
- To ensure purchase order or invoice related queries are dealt with speedily and effectively and are appropriately authorised
- To check financial transactions to ensure that correct procedures are adhered to in line with Delta Academies Trust Financial Regulations Handbook
- To assist in ensuring effective procurement practice and ensuring Best Value principles are met
- Obtaining quotes for goods and services where necessary
- To manage the day to day running of the Petty Cash account, issuing cheques and handling cash
- To ensure all orders are delivered in the agreed timescales, deliveries match the academy purchase orders and any discrepancies are queried with the supplier
- To maintain filing systems to fulfil audit requirements
- To maintain manual and computerised records / management information systems including Civica, SIMS, Evolve, Every and Disclosure Forms
- To ensure procedures are followed in collecting, receipting and banking all monies received
- To take all monies received to the bank when required
- To produce monthly management accounts including bank, purchase ledger and sales ledger reconciliations
- Produce monthly variance analysis of actuals to budgets
- To develop 5 year forecasts using HCSS in conjunction with Delta core finance
- To submit all payroll documentation per payroll monthly deadlines and support recruitment processes and changes to contract administration
- To work with Delta Academies Trust payroll and HR services to undertake relevant administration to the Academy and ensure that all returns are completed and submitted within the specified time allocations
- To take notes at meetings as required
- Co-ordination of the production of school publications, including staff bulletins and information to parents
- Responsible for ensuring that all pupil records are accurately maintained and updated including the academy’s Single Central Register
- To be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, inclusion, health, safety and security, equal opportunities, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person
- To attend and participate in meetings, training and other learning activities and performance development as required
- To contribute to the overall ethos/work/aims of the Academy and Trust
- To ensure strict confidentiality in all areas of work.
- To work and process personal and sensitive information in accordance with Data Protection Act 2018 including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To ensure work is conducted in a way that protects the safety and security of information (e.g. strong passwords, reporting breaches, securing paper records, securely disposing of records).
- To understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare at all times, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer immediately.
- To comply with the Trust and academy’s policies and procedures at all times.
To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
External: Contractors, suppliers, parents, external agency professionals, other Trust staff
Internal: Students, staff, AAB members, parents and visitors to the academy
This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- GCSE Grade C in English and Maths, or equivalent (A/I/C)
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Software Package (A/I)
- Word Processing/Typing qualification e.g. RSA / e-type or equivalent (A/C)
- Experience of working as a Secretary or Personal Assistant (A/I/R)
- Experience of clerical, administrative and word processing work (A/I/R)
- Experience using a variety of software including spreadsheets, databases and PowerPoint (A/I)
- Experience of managing staff (A/I)
- Experience of using accounts and budgetary software (A/I)
- Experience of cash handling (A/I)
- Experience of working in a finance related environment (A/I)
- Good organisational and personal management skills (A/I)
- Effective communication skills including good written and verbal skills (A/I/R)
- Good ICT skills (A/R)
- Be able to work independently and be a team player (A/I/R)
- Effective time management (A/I/R)
- The ability to meet deadlines (A/I)
- Commitment to self and team development (A/I)
- Work in ways that promote equality of opportunity, participation, diversity and responsibility (A/I)
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Academy’s Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Child Protection Policies (A/I)
- The post holder will require an enhanced DBS (C)
- NVQ Level 4 or equivalent in Business Administration (A/I/C)
- A3, NVQ or equivalent qualification or experience in finance (A/I/C)
- A knowledge of Best Value and financial regulations (A/I)
- AAT Qualified (A/I)
- Experience of working in education or other local government organisation (A/I/R)