Purpose of the job:
Don Valley Academy are looking to appoint a Minibus Driver to join our academy in November 2021 on a casual basis for hours as and when required. You will work as part of the Facilities team and to be the minibus driver for the school’s home/school transport provision, including routine safety checks on the vehicle.
The salary is Grade B point 3 which equates to £9.62 per hour.
Don Valley Academy is proud to be rated Ofsted GOOD (April 2019) for the first time in its history! This has been achieved by having dedicated and enthusiastic staff who are committed to giving our community an extraordinary educational experience.
We are a vibrant 11-18 Academy with 1074 students on roll, including 33 at Post 16. We benefit from a new building which opened in November 2016 enabling our students and staff to use state of the art facilities. We serve a significantly deprived community with 42% of students being pupil premium and 38% being in the bottom 10% for deprivation. Despite these challenges, you will find Don Valley students to be polite and engaged with learning.
As a community we embrace all opportunities and strive to support and challenge each other. We have a comprehensive professional development calendar which is tailored specifically to meet the current needs. Staff enjoy the leadership opportunities found within our ‘DEEPs’ model and are able to gain experiences of roles across the Academy from Aspiring Leaders to Associate Assistant Principals
Collaboration is at the heart of the Academy for both students and staff and you will find Don Valley Academy to be positive and reflective towards their own professionalism, with wellbeing as a pivotal aspect of our Academy ethos.
Visits to the academy would be warmly welcomed by appointment. Please contact the academy on 01302 651035 if you would like to arrange a visit.
- Operating one of the academy’s bus routes, collecting children from given pick-up points along the route and delivering them to school; collecting them from school and dropping them back at the given points.
- Ensuring that the minibus is kept clean and in good condition, including, but not restricted to:
- Weekly cleaning of the bus, both inside and out
- Ensuring signs inside the bus are properly attached and in good condition
- Regular visual inspection/checking of tyres, lights, oil, water, fuel
- Ensuring that any additional work required is communicated immediately to the Site Manager
- Adhere to all school policies including Health and Safety guidelines for Minibus Drivers
- To liaise directly with parents when necessary
- Enforcement of the school behaviour policy and the reporting of any incidents or unsatisfactory behaviour to Line Manager.
- Dealing with accidents/incidents and reporting them to the school Office/member of the senior leadership team.
- Collect student lunches and then to be the Lunch Time Supervisor which includes serving lunch to the students and be responsible for the overall management for students to dine promotes an order and pleasant meal service.
- Ensuring the kitchen and facilities department are clean and in good condition after lunch.
- To be aware of and work in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018, including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare at all times, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer immediately.
- To comply with the Trust and academy’s policies and procedures at all times.
To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
The post holder’s duties must be carried out in compliance with the academy’s policies and procedures including Child Protection Procedures and Equal Opportunities Policy, Information Security Policies, Financial Regulations and Standing Orders, the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) and subsequent health and safety legislation.
This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- Understanding of Health & Safety Issues and good practice (A/I)
- Awareness and understanding of basic safety and security measures (A/I/C)
- Full Clean Driving Licence (C)
- Driving licences obtained on or after 1st January 1997 must have a category D1 PCV entitlement on their licence by meeting higher medical standards and passing an appropriate test or have obtained a driving licence before January 1st 1997 (C)
- Have experience driving a minibus (A/I/R)
- Have held had a driving licence for at least 2 years and be 21 years of age or over. (A/I/R/C)
- Good organisational and personal management skills (A/I)
- Effective communication skills (A/I/R)
- Ability to deal with day to day issues on own initiative (A/I/R)
- Effective time management (A/I/R)
- Ability to relate well to children and adults (A/I)
- Work in ways that promote equality of opportunity, participation, diversity and responsibility. (A/I)
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Academy’s Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Child Protection Policies (A/I)
- The post holder will require an enhanced DBS check (C)
- To have basic first aid (A/C)