Tutor One-to-One Maths
Purpose of the job:
Darton Academy are looking to appoint a One to One Maths Tutor to join our academy on a casual as and when required basis. You will deliver tuition to identified students, in small groups or on a one to one basis.
Salary is £20 per hour for UQT (Unqualified Teacher Status) and £29 per hour for QTS (Qualified Teacher Status).
This is an exciting time to join our school. Darton Academy joined Delta Academies Trust in October 2018 and we have started with confidence on the journey towards ‘outstanding’. As the highest performing secondary school in Barnsley for Progress 8, and one of the most improved schools in the country, we are making real progress already. We are a happy and vibrant school which serves the communities of Darton, Kexborough and surrounding areas. We are within easy reach of Leeds, Wakefield and Sheffield, as the academy is located minutes from J38 of the M1.
When you make your first visit to Darton Academy you immediately get the sense that it is more than just a school. The state of the art learning and sporting facilities, along with the purposeful and happy atmosphere are hard to miss. The school is continuing to develop its ICT infrastructure and use of mobile and new technologies to support and enhance learning.
All students are valued, regardless of their background or ability. We treat our young people with respect, and give them all the opportunity to achieve their potential. Our goal is for all our students to leave us as happy, well-qualified, confident young adults who go on to excel in the local sixth-forms, colleges, universities, and the wider world. We combine high expectations and high standards with a strong sense of kindness, inclusivity and enjoyment. Our primary focus is to instil a love of learning, and to encourage all students to be respectful, determined, hardworking, confident and ambitious through the Darton mindset of respect, responsibility and resilience.
You would be joining an academy that places learning at the heart of everything it does. If you feel you have the necessary skills and experience required for this position then we would very much like to hear from you.
For an informal chat about this position please call Darton Academy on 01226 232306.
Visits to the Academy are warmly welcomed by appointment. Please call the academy to arrange your visit on 01226 232306.
- To deliver tuition through organising and supporting the learning of identified students in order to raise their levels of attainment. To lead on improving rates of progression for identified students by liaising with the key stakeholders about the learning
- To meet with the class teacher before tutoring, to identify areas for development and support, plan the student’s personalised learning programme and agree outcomes
- To establish a relationship and understanding of learning needs before tutoring begins and agree time and location of tutoring
- Liaise with the class teacher during the tuition
- Provide feedback to class teacher/Vice Principal and agree next steps
- Liaise, as required, with a range of contacts, to include: Principal, Class teacher and/or subject leader and students
- To ensure strict confidentiality in all areas of work.
- To work and process personal and sensitive information in accordance with Data Protection Act 2018 including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To ensure work is conducted in a way that protects the safety and security of information (e.g. strong passwords, reporting breaches, securing paper records, securely disposing of records)
- To understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare at all times, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer immediately.
- To comply with the Trust and academy’s policies and procedures at all times.
To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
The job description will be reviewed as appropriate and may be subject to amendment or modification at any time after consultation with the post holder.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- Educated to A’ Level standard in relevant subject (A/C)
- The ability to be an excellent classroom practitioner (I/R)
- Understanding of health and safety issues and good practice (A/I)
- Good organisational and personal management skills (A/I)
- Effective planning and teaching (A/I/R)
- Effective behaviour management (A/I/R)
- An ability to demand high standards (A/I/R)
- Work independently and be a team player (A/I/R)
- An ability to develop good working relationships with students and staff (A/I/R)
- Effective time-management (A/I)
- The ability to meet deadlines (A/I)
- Good ICT skills (A)
- Commitment to self and team development (A/I)
- Work in ways that promote equality of opportunity, participation, diversity and responsibility (A/I)
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Academy’s Equal Opportunities, Health & Safety and Child Protection policies (A/I)
- The post holder will require an enhanced DBS check if offered the position (C)
- PGCE/Cert Ed (A/C)
- Previous experience of working with young people (A/I)
- Experience of delivering similar courses (A/I)