Purpose of the job:
John Whitgift Academy are looking to appoint a Cleaner to join our academy in February 2022.
We currently have over 730 students on role aged 11 to 16. Our academy is situated close to the A180 making it ideal for commuting. Despite being one of the most rapidly growing academies in North East Lincolnshire, due, primarily to our success and outcomes, relationships between students and staff are excellent and we have maintained a small school friendly atmosphere. Behaviour in our academy is good with a relentless focus upon learning and aspiration.
In addition, we are fortunate to have some outstanding facilities that help to further enhance the quality of teaching and learning, such as, an Engineering block, 2 full size swimming pools and a 207 seater cinema.
In your new role you will work as part of the site management team to maintain the cleanliness of the academy site to ensure it is a safe and clean place to work.
The minimum actual pro rata’d salary per annum for this job is £9,836.75. (9.43 per hour).
- To empty and wash out dustbins and waste containers.
- To dust.
- To polish or wipe available surfaces (tables, desks, shelves, work surfaces, etc).
- To move furniture so that floors can be cleaned.
- To vacuum floors and material furniture.
- To sweep, scrub, buff, polish or mop floors as appropriate.
- To clean windows and glass door panels.
- To remove chewing gum and graffiti.
- To wipe or wash walls, lockers, window ledges, skirting boards, radiators and pipework and furniture, etc. as required.
- To straighten the furniture, close windows, water plants and leave rooms looking tidy.
- To clean showers, sinks and washbasins and the surrounding areas.
- To clean toilets and urinals.
- To keep the cleaner’s cupboard tidy.
- To look after the equipment and report any faults to the cleaning supervisor.
- To ensure that chemicals are handled, stored and used correctly.
- To ensure that all health and safety instructions are followed at all times.
- To attend any necessary training relevant to the post.
- To be aware of and work in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018, including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare at all times, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer immediately.
- To comply with the Trust and academy’s policies and procedures at all times.
To undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- Working in a cleaning role (A/I)
- Basic literacy/record keeping skills (A/I)
- Ability to relate well to children and adults (A/I)
- Ability to work constructively as part of a team (A/I/R)
- Commitment to self and team development (A/R)
- A good sense of humour (A/I)
- Able to maintain a safe, calm and happy ethos (A/I)
- A commitment to abide by and promote the Academy’s Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Child Protection Policies (A/I)
- A professional responsibility to promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people (A/I)
- The post holder will require an enhanced DBS (C)
- Working a school or office environment (A/I)