Purpose of the job:
Under the direction of senior staff, co-ordinate the support provision for students who need help in overcoming barriers to learning and developing their potential by raising standards of behaviour for learning.
- To be a first response for everyday student problems.
- To investigate reported incidents of poor behaviour.
- To contact parents in informing them of individual students’ behaviour, consequences or exclusions as part of effective lines of communication between the academy and home.
- To liaise with the relevant staff on actions to be taken.
- To administer appropriate sanctions.
- Supporting parents and students in crisis, liaising with identified personnel.
- To arrange for units of work and/or specific skills development with individual students to be provided.
- To monitor the behaviour and progress of these students.
- To organise and provide appropriate work and supervision to these students and be responsible for them until an appropriate member of staff is available.
- To co-ordinate C5s liaising with parents, students and staff.
- To liaise with parents, outside agencies, education welfare and the police with regard to confidential/sensitive information and complex issues.
- To provide information, reports and analysis on student behaviour.
- To maintain the consequences room to ensure it provides an appropriate environment for students.
- To promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people that the post holder has responsibility for or come into contact with.
- To be aware of, and comply with, policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
- To be aware of, support and ensure equal opportunities for all.
- To contribute to the overall ethos/work/aims of the academy.
- To appreciate and support the role of other professionals.
- To attend and participate in relevant meetings as required.
- To participate in training and other learning activities and performance development as required.
- To assist with student needs as appropriate during the academy day.
- To comply with the academy’s child safeguarding procedures, including regular liaison with the academy’s designated child safeguarding person over any safeguarding concerns or issues.
- To comply with the academy policies and procedures at all times.
Undertake other reasonable duties (with competence and experience) as requested, in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
External Contractors, suppliers, parents and external agency professionals
Internal Students, staff, EAB members, parents and any other visitors to the Academy
This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy.
Edit me in Site Settings > Jobs (tab) > Job Negotiation Message.
e.g. This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- Grade C or above in both English and Maths, or equivalent (A/I)
- Recognised and relevant vocational qualification (NVQ level 2) and/or equivalent practical work experience (A/I)
- Willingness and ability to obtain and/or enhance qualifications and training for development in the post. (A/I)
- Good communication and listening skills (A/I)
- Ability to respect and maintain confidentiality (A/I)
- Ability and willingness to inspire students and get the best out of them (A/I)
- Working knowledge of standard computer packages (word processing, email and spreadsheets) (A/I)
- Efficient and effective organisation skills (A/I)
- Ability to relate to students in a pleasant and sympathetic manner and to recognise potential child safeguarding issues (A/I)
- Satisfactory Enhanced DBS (C)
- Working in a school environment (A/I)
- Issues affecting students and young people and how to offer supportive assistance (A/I)
- Basic first aid (A/I)
- Understanding of academy child safeguarding procedures (A/I)