Purpose of the job:
Ingleby Manor School & Sixth Form is at an exciting time in its development. The school will shortly embark on the development and introduction of a post-16 provision which will offer a vibrant academic offer to our learners. We have also embedded a new curriculum and CPD structures that will drive us from Good to Outstanding.
We are seeking to appoint 2 Assistant Principals to join us on this journey from September 2019
To support the Senior Leadership Team of the academy, working within the ‘Deeps’ as assigned by the Principal. To provide proactive support to the Principal / Vice Principal / EAB members to ensure that the leadership and management of the academy operates at the most effective level possible.
Main duties and responsibilities
- To contribute to the work of the Senior Leadership Team in accordance with the requirements set out by the Principal. In particular you will be required to play an active part to:
- Ensure the academy achieves the objectives / targets set out in the Academy Development Plan.
- Deliver the academy objectives in relation to its community links.
- Embed all elements of the ‘Deeps’ within the day-to-day workings of the academy.
- Support the activity of the academy as a member of Delta Academies Trust.
- Constantly promote the personal development of all staff and participate in the work of the academy to achieve this.
- Participate in development, management activities and research.
- Contribute to the initiation and development of innovatory practice.
- Promote equal opportunities at all levels of academy activity.
We expect you to:
- Be flexible and innovative.
- Provide depth to the leadership team and assist with the management of the academy on a day to day basis but particularly when other members of the Senior Leadership Team are absent or working outside the academy.
- Contribute to the development of the leadership and management of the academy via the Senior Leadership Team meetings.
- Play an active part in the monitoring of the quality of teaching and learning across the academy.
- Put ‘students first’ in everything you do.
- Take responsibility for a specific management area / initiative / project.
- As part of your continuous professional development, become the Lead Member of SLT once per week, during which you would be expected to deal with academy wide issues as the first line of response for SLT.
We will provide you with:
- The opportunity to experience a comprehensive range of leadership and management situations.
- The opportunity ‘to shadow’ and work closely with other members of the Senior Leadership Team.
- Support, mentorship and coaching in the roles / duties you are asked to perform.
- Constructive and regular feedback on your performance.
- A wide range of experiences to develop / enhance your management and leadership competencies.
Knowledge, skills and experience requirements for the post
a) Leadership skills
- An innovative leader with a clear understanding of education opportunity and how it can be translated into practical reality
- An existing or aspiring middle leader with a proven track record
- An enthusiastic leader, committed to ensuring the best possible outcomes for students
- Someone with the ability to motivate and develop staff whom they lead
b) Communication skills
- A commitment to working positively with all academy staff and students
- An excellent communicator who is at ease with all members of the academy community
c) Experience and knowledge
- An ability to drive and deliver projects on an academy wide basis
- A knowledge and clear understanding of how to drive intervention through the ‘Deeps’ structure
d) Management of finance, HR and resource
- A proven ability to successfully manage colleagues through the ‘Deeps’
- The ability to motivate staff to ensure high performance
- The ability to translate a visionary / innovative concept into a practical implementation plan
e) Personal attributes
- An ability to use the full range of leadership skills and qualities including emotional intelligence as appropriate to the situation
- Someone who is resilient and determined but can also provide support and demonstrate empathy
- A personal commitment to inclusion and diversity to ensure the maximum benefits for students and staff
- A strong commitment to personal development for all staff including themselves
Edit me in Site Settings > Jobs (tab) > Job Negotiation Message.
e.g. This job description may be subject to change, following consultation between the post holder and the Academy
Experience and Knowledge
Key: A = Application, I = Interview And Assessment, R = Reference, C = Certificate
- A teaching qualification together with qualified teacher status (QTS)
- Knowledge of teaching, learning and assessment at KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4 & KS5
- A good understanding of recent curriculum developments and initiatives in primary / subject area and their impact in the academy
- Understanding of the use of data to assess and inform teaching and learning and target appropriate intervention
- Experience of dynamic and successful team leadership at middle leader/senior leader level
- Experience of leading and implementing strategies which have ensured high standards of student achievement
- Experience of teaching intervention groups at KS2, KS3, KS4, KS5
- An excellent classroom practitioner that can model best practice
- A passion for learning
- Excellent organisational and personal management skills
- Effective planning and teaching
- Effective behaviour/classroom management
- An ability to demand high standards
- Ability to work independently and be a team player
- Ability to develop and support other staff to develop a variety of teaching strategies
- Ability to enthuse and direct students and staff towards raising expectations and levels of achievement
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Understanding of self-evaluation
- Strong ICT skills
- Commitment to both self and team development
- Takes the initiative
- Able to make difficult decisions and relay these effectively
- AST or Excellent Teacher status
- Leadership qualification (e.g. NPQH)
- Comprehensive knowledge of performance management requirements in an education setting
- Experience of leading, developing and enhancing the teaching practice of other staff